Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Saying the wrong thing....

Being with people I don't know I tend to be quiet and shy. The reason for this is that I prefer staying anonymous until I know how the group works. I'll point out the groupleader, how the people are acting, what kind of language they use and the jargon within the group. When I've collected the information I can, if I feel comfortable with the way the group works, start acting as a member of it. I'll make contribution to it, starting with a few words and after a while I'll be making some jokes.

All this work is to be sure I'll fit in the group and so that the people will understand me and not get the wrong idea about me. It's all about saying the same things but in different languages, as when you speak English with an Englishmen and Spanish with a Spaniard. The contrary won't be satisfactory and misunderstandings are making it difficult for you to tell the other person what you want.

On the Internet, however, this behaviour isn't always applicable, as when I got this e-mail from a guy in Georgia, US.

Hi
How are you I saw your profile and thought you seemed pretty normal. I am from the United States and liven in Stockholm. Maybe we could talk sometime. My name is J by the way. Write me back if you would like to talk.


Pretty normal, eh? First of all, I'm certainly n o t normal. Second, I don't pretend to b e normal. And third, I don't want to be s e e n as normal. Poor guy, he didn't speak my language (and he also went to a Christian school and is doing some security work for the American government) and therefore I judge him, and my judgement isn't in favour for him...

5 comments:

Bonden Paavo said...

Hmmm, must say i'm not too impressed (by him)! Nope, normality is nothing you want to aspire to! Well well, he tried at least! puss!

Bonden Paavo said...

ps, varfor har du alkolas pa din blogg??!! :-)

sedermera said...

du, länken till din blogg syns inte i din profil...jag fick gissa på att det var den här adressen...

Anonymous said...

sen berattade hon at mig, for jag fattade ingenting....

it's a lifestyle... said...

hehehe
men nu borde man nog se länken till bloggen i min profil, eller?
och alkolås har jag för att slippa löjliga inlägg som det jag skriver nu t ex.. å andra sidan, frågan är ju om de fungerar, och de mest fyniga inläggen brukar ju komma vid den här tiden på dygnet..
thalla shaverim! ;-)